Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made a shocking announcement this week about their decision to step back from being senior royals. Now, an insider close to the royal family says that Queen Elizabeth is devastated by the news, especially because she requested her grandson to refrain from releasing the statement.
According to a source who spoke to Entertainment Tonight, the Duke of Sussex defied his grandmother’s request and went on with the announcement anyway. The source added that despite disagreements in the royal family about Harry and Meghan’s latest move, courtiers from all four households met to discuss their transition. Members of the royal family have reportedly decided to aid in the couple’s plans to exit the British monarchy.
“The queen is devastated by the decision, although she had been aware of their struggle the last few months and has been concerned for their well-being and happiness,” the insider told ET.
The source says that “Many family members were very disappointed with the Sussexes.” Some have even described the decision as “selfish.”
Buckingham Palace released a statement regarding the matter on Wednesday. In the statement, the queen acknowledged the “complicated issues” involved with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s decision.
“We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through,” the statement read.
News of the royals’ separation from the monarchy came as a shock to many, including those in the royal family. For now, nothing has been finalized as discussions continue within its members.